I know lately I have been bugging all of you about my work, but sunny days will be coming soon. What I find very interesting though, is working with my daughter around, not limiting my working hours only while she naps like I used to. This is what I’ve discovered so far:
1. The most important thing you have to remember is that your job is not the priority, your kid is and he won’t really care that you have stuff to do if he needs something from you, so it’s best to give him those five minutes he asks for and and I guaranty that in return he will give you at least half an hour to work.
2. Children are very sensitive when it comes to their emotions. There are some famous lines that have always been applied to all of us and some of you may apply them on your own children. They go like this: “Give me five minutes to finish this! I will be right there! Can you just leave me alone for two seconds?” One never finishes what he has to do in only five minutes or two seconds and forgets the promise he made. Never lie. Your kids trust you completely until the first time you lie to them. Would you really want to lose your kid’s trust over a deadline?
3. No matter how much time they usually sleep, whenever you have something to do they will never sleep the way they used to. For example my daughter never wakes up before 10,30 am, but this morning, she woke up at 9,30 am, just because somehow she knew I went to bed at 5 am and I need it to be punished for that. So, don’t plan your sleeping hours around theirs; it never works.
4. You love your kid. Sometimes the reason you are working is your kid, so make sure he knows that even if you have to stay in front of the computer all day. An occasional hug, a huge smile, can do miracles sometimes and this way they will never feel neglected.
5. The reason most moms work from home is to be with their children more. The problem is that usually they are not. Sometimes I hear unbelievable stories that the children in my classes tell me about their parents who work from home. “My mom never has time for me! I wish she would go and work a real job, this way I know that when she comes back she can play with me! The door to her bedroom is always shut! I miss my mom!” Make sure that even if you are working from home, you have a schedule. They need to know when you are available and that during that time you are not distracted by anything else.
These are only a few of the things to keep in mind, but I think the list can go on forever. I think the most important one is to never forget that they are far more important than anything you have to do and this also goes for when you have to clean, or cook, or do any other chores around the house. Children never care if the house is clean, the meals are ready, or their clothes are washed. The only thing they really care about is you and the time you are willing to spend with them.